Scotiabank boosts Prep cricket with increased sponsorship

first_imgScotiabank, who pride themselves as sponsors of the regional game, starting from the youth level, pumped a 25 per cent increase into this year’s Scotiabank/Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) Prep Schools Cricket competition yesterday.The increase will bring the sponsorship package to $5 million, along with MVP cash prizes of $50,000 for players in the counties of Cornwall, Middlesex and Surrey.”This increase in sponsorship is a testimony to our continued belief in the importance of investing in youth through developmental sports,” said Yanique Forbes-Patrick, vice-president, Scotiabank Marketing.”Always play your best game. Strive to be the best on your team. Be champions in your own right and make a difference in everything you do,” she implored the youngsters during yesterday’s launch at Lucas Cricket Club, after which defending champions Quest Prep and Richmond Prep played the competition’s opening game.BETTER CITIZENSCourtney Francis, CEO, Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), lauded Scotiabank for ensuring that “cricket is part of the medium to make you all (players) better citizens, more responsible, understand and learn at this stage how to be part of a team and how to be able to contribute to society”.Quest were crowned national champions for the first time last year, after defeating Hydel Prep by 10 runs in the final at Lucas.Hydel, the most successful school with two national titles (2012, 2013) and four in Surrey, followed by St Peter and Paul, Monymusk, Mona, Lannaman, Belair Prep and Quest one each.In Cornwall, there are only two winners; Denis Tobin in 2005 and 2006, while St James have been unbeatable since 2007.Quest’s coach, Leonard Malcolm, told The Gleaner his team is missing about eight players from last year, “but we are a competitive school and we are going to compete to try and retain our crown”.The competition will run to June 12 and feature a total of 48 teams, with approximately 121 matches across three counties.The competition began in 2003 and has grown from 24 schools to 48; 24 from Kingston and St Andrew and St Catherine, 12 from Middlesex and 12 from Cornwall.Prep school standouts to come from the competition include Brandon King, who has represented Jamaica at all levels, Brad Barnes (2013), Raewin Senior (2014) and Kirk McKenzie last year.West Indies’ World T20 men and women’s champions, Marlon Samuels and Stafanie Taylor, respectively, also participated and signed bats and balls for the youngsters.last_img read more

Never agreed to be taken advantage of and not be paid

first_imgDear Editor,It was promised that on January 24, 2019, all staff were supposed to be paid in full for the months of November 2018 and January 2019, along with overtime services for November.A message from the Chairman and CEO, Paul Ronald Reece, stated that the Kingston office shut its doors along with the new office and only the Georgetown office will remain functional so as to facilitate passengers.More recently, in their address to us, they said, “We truly understand the hardships you have experienced and advise you that salaries to staff will be paid on Friday, March 22, 2019”.After they failed to pay us on March 22, Captain Reece ensured us that we would receive our pay within seven working days from the date previously mentioned.To date, no payments have been received.We learned of our dismissal from the news that the company will shut its doors on March 31, 2019. There were no announcements, termination letters or promise to pay us our salaries.We agreed to work and receive payment at a later date in support of the company because they indicated to us that should they dismiss us, they would have to pay to train a new set of employees. However, we never agreed to be taken advantage of and not be paid.Sincerely,Aggrieved FlyJamaica stafflast_img read more

MCC Numbers 36K Homes, Hospitals, Businesses

first_imgKoijee addresses the media yesterday in Monrovia.-Receives First Enumeration ReportAll Terrain Services Incorporated (ATS), a local company contracted by the Monrovia City Corporation (MCC) to conduct enumeration exercises in Monrovia and its surrounding areas has released its first report targeting four (4) electoral districts with over 36,000 structures marked.The report was presented to Monrovia City Corporation Mayor Jefferson T. Koijee, by ATS Operation Manager Edwin Massaley at a news conference in Monrovia. Mr. Massaley said the company has collected data from 36,000 structures, including hospitals, homes, schools, and others in four of the ten targeted districts.According to the report, electoral districts seven, eight, nine and ten were completed. ATS is expected to start with the rest of the six districts in the coming weeks.Mr. Massaley said during the collection of the data from the initial four districts, they also embarked on a systematic classification of properties within the city limits of Monrovia, including private homes, schools, public buildings, businesses, market places, hospitals, among others.Mayor Jefferson T. Koijee lauded the ATS for what he described as an exceptional job done, which will drive the MCC’s agenda of transforming Monrovia to a smart city.The Mayor said the project is developing a citywide enumeration system for household location and waste tracking in the city limit of Monrovia.The citywide enumeration project, according to Mayor Koijee, will involve the introduction of software that will serve as a pilot, to track the general layout of neighborhoods and house locations in Monrovia and establish the amount of waste generated in the city per area.Koijee noted that other areas of concentration under the ongoing project will include the capacity of the existing infrastructure, its ability to absorb the waste collection needs in each area of the city and the revenue generation potential for household services that the city government can provide.Mayor Kojee further said, “The project has helped to create jobs for over 300 young people who are residents of Monrovia.”The enumeration process commenced on Monday, January 14, 2019, and is expected to end in late March 2019.Mayor Koijee has pleaded with residents of the City of Monrovia to comply with the enumeration team as the exercise seeks to benefit every inhabitant of the city.According to him, the enumeration of housing facilities in the city will help citizens easily locate their place of residence. “Today directing a particular home or office in the City of Monrovia is very difficult, it takes time and resources,” Mayor Koijee said.He said when completed, the enumeration exercise will help to save time and money for residents and visitors of the city through the use of special digital software.He said the enumeration exercise will also create a smooth system for tracking waste which is cardinal in promoting a clean, green and safe city.Several Community Based Enterprises (CBEs) operating within Monrovia have unanimously endorsed the ongoing enumeration exercise. These Community Based Enterprises are working with the City Government of Monrovia in the collection of primary waste.They are basically engaging with the collection of waste from households to the disposal sites and with the prospective household tracking, there is a huge potential for systemic waste management in the city.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Montney Community Hall may become a thing of the past

first_img“…It’s their chance to step up to the plate. The time for talk is over; it’s time to take action.”Krafczyk concludes by explaining the important role the hall has played within the Montney community.A community is like a family of families and a local hall is like the family room,” Krafczyk said. “…Without it, the community is just a highway with a bunch of farms.” “At a fundamental level it is a lack of dedicated volunteers,” President of the Montney Community Association, Aaron Krafczyk said. “However B.C.’s liquor laws regarding special events lack common sense, and to comply with them fully creates a lot more work for the few volunteers that we have.”Krafczyk adds,”On another level, complying fully with the liquor laws directly eliminates a major source of revenue for the hall.”Krafczyk says a renewed group of volunteer has the potential of creating solutions to the hall’s problem.- Advertisement -“We need to have local volunteers with a reasonable level of dedication,” Krafczyk goes on to say. “We also need some new ideas to generate income while following liquor laws. It would be nice if local politicians would go to bat for us regarding the ridiculous special event laws.”In an effort to rally the troop, the Montney Community Hall is hosting a final meeting in a last-ditch effort to mitigate this threat of closure on November 26.“The purpose of the meeting is to give a voice to the community.”Advertisementlast_img read more

Tottenham to play remaining 2018 home games at Wembley

first_img0Shares0000Tottenham Hotspur will play the remainder of their 2018 home games at Wembley following delays to the completion of their new stadium © AFP/File / Daniel LEAL-OLIVASLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 26 – Tottenham Hotspur will play their remaining home games in 2018 at Wembley Stadium, the Premier League club announced Friday.Spurs had been hoping to move into a new 62,000-seater stadium near their old White Hart Lane home in north London in September. But chairman Daniel Levy said “factors completely outside of our control” meant Spurs would not now play at their new ground until 2019 at the earliest.Now Tottenham fans will have to continue to travel across north London for the home fixtures against Chelsea, Southampton, Burnley, Bournemouth and Wolves, with their two remaining home Champions League group games already scheduled to take place at the national stadium.“There isn’t an hour that goes by when I am not asked when we will be able to stage our first game at our new home,” said Levy.“I wish I was able to confirm an exact opening date and fixture. However, in light of factors completely outside of our control, contractors missing deadlines and possible future unforeseen issues, we are naturally being cautious in respect of our timetable for our test events and official opening game.”He added: “Whilst we are conscious of the need to keep pressure on our contractors to deliver as soon as possible, we are also acutely aware of how difficult the lack of clarity is for you, our supporters, to plan around games, particularly those at Christmas and New Year.“In light of the above, and taking into account the restricted availability of manpower over the festive period, we have taken the decision to confirm today that all home games will be played at Wembley Stadium up to and including the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 29 December.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

‘Do the Neymar’: Irish fire chiefs issue Halloween advice

first_img0Shares0000Brazil forward Neymar was accused of play-acting at the World Cup © AFP/File / EDUARDO MUNOZ ALVAREZDUBLIN, Ireland, Oct 31 – Irish fire chiefs have advised people to “do the #Neymar” if their Halloween costume catches fire, tweeting a video of the Brazil forward rolling around on the turf.Alongside various safety warnings about bonfires on their Twitter feed, the Dublin Fire Brigade opted for a GIF of Neymar to get their message across. “STOP, DROP & ROLL. If you find yourself in a position where your costume or clothes catch fire, do the #Neymar. Running will only fan the flames and help the fire spread. STOPPING, DROPPING & ROLLING will smother the flames.”Neymar, who plays for Paris Saint-Germain, is recognised as one of the world’s top players but has an unwanted reputation for play-acting.At the World Cup in Russia he was mocked for his on-field theatrics as Brazil crashed out at the quarter-final stage.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Can Canyon bounce back from loss to Burroughs?

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Canyon can’t afford to overlook last-place Saugus or Burbank, which would like nothing more than to play spoiler. Valencia underestimated Hart earlier this year, suffering its only league loss. “Everyone is tough,” Phillips said. “Every game is a battle.” A Feb. 7 showdown against Valencia looms, and then the Cowboys close out the season against Hart in the finale. Perimeter playmaker: Canyon’s Lucas Guidroz had perhaps his finest game of the season in Friday’s loss to Burroughs, scoring 15 of his 17 points in the second and third quarters and hitting four 3-pointers. The senior is shooting 40 percent from 3-point range. His presence gives Canyon another scoring threat. Kris Rincon, Bryan Lewis and Ryan Kuhn each average more than 10 points per game and are among the top six scorers in the league. Guidroz is eighth, averaging nine points per game. Canyon High’s boys’ basketball team can do one of two things this week: beat itself up over blowing a double-digit lead in a six-point loss Friday to Burroughs of Burbank, or move on. The Cowboys need to move on or they risk falling out of contention in the Foothill League race. The good news for Canyon (14-8 overall, 4-2 Foothill) is that they’re tied for second-place with Burroughs (18-4, 4-2), one game behind Valencia (18-4, 5-1) heading into the final two weeks of the regular season. The Cowboys’ next two games are against Saugus and Burbank, which have three league wins in nine games combined. Said Canyon coach Chad Phillips: “This is make-it or break-it time.” “He’s big for us,” Phillips said. “He can light it up. He does the intangibles, too.” Postseason positioning: Hart and Burbank are tied for fourth, and there are four automatic playoff berths available in the Foothill League. The fifth-place team must await word on an at-large berth. Both teams must play Valencia, Burroughs and Canyon, all among the Daily News’ top 15 teams, in three of their final four games. Hart plays at Burroughs tonight and at Valencia on Friday. Burbank plays host to Valencia tonight and at Canyon on Friday. Sean Ceglinsky, (818) 713-3607 sean.ceglinsky@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

ATHLETICS: ROSSES AC MEMBERS DO WELL IN GAEL FORCE NORTH

first_imgRosses ACThere were some superb performances from the North West athletes in the recent Gael Force North event. Many of our club athletes have been training since early winter with a focus on this and many made huge improvements on their times from past years.A huge well done to all and some noted performances were Elise Gillespie who finished 2nd Lady in the Sprint event with Noreen Mc Gee in 6th place. Michael Logue finished 2nd in the Sprint event with Michael Mc Elroy in 8th place. In the full event, Brian Mc Bride was 7th and he was 3rd in the V40 category, Edward Harkin 8th, Noel Diver 9th with Con Mc Geever and Liam Mac Giolla Bhríde finishing in the top 20. Michael Mc Geady, Dunlewey was 2nd in the V50 category. In the Ladies Full event great performances from Sinéad Boyle who finished 3rd and Helen Mc Cready who finished 4th. In the recent Termon 5K there was good performances from Noel Diver in 17.25, Owen Coyle in 21.31 and from Doire na Mainséar girl Niamh Mc Enhill in 21.33. Well done also to Valerie Mc Ginley, Braade after competing in the Achill Half Marathon today.At the weekend we had 2 great U-16 Relay teams who ran brilliantly in Tullamore and gained good experience at a national level.Good luck to all our athletes who are competing this weekend in the all Ireland juvenile competition.Discounted prices have been extended for the Half and Full Donegal Marathons will take place on Sunday 24th August 2014. Every level of runner or walker is invited to participate. The 26.2 mile course will take in Letterkenny and the surrounding area. This promises to be an event which will both challenge and encourage all the participants. ATHLETICS: ROSSES AC MEMBERS DO WELL IN GAEL FORCE NORTH was last modified: July 8th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:athleticsdonegalROSSES AClast_img read more

LIFFORD POACHER SPARED ANOTHER ‘TORRID’ TIME IN JAIL

first_imgA young Lifford man whose brother perished on the same stretch of water on which he was arrested has been spared being sent back to jail for fisheries offences.Mark Colhoun was caught by fisheries officers with a gill net and other items along the River Foyle on April 5th last.Colhoun and another man were observed throwing a hook with a chord into the water several times before pulling out a gill net. There was nothing in the net but as the men left they were approached by observing officers.A stand-off ensued between Colhoun of 41 Beechwood, Lifford who had told his accomplice not to open the boot of the Ford Mondeo they were in.When the boot was opened, the fisheries officers found various illegal fishing equipment.The court heard that Colhoun then squared up to officers and threatened them forcing one officer to take cover in his car.Solicitor for Colhoun, Frank Dorrian, said his client had served a prison sentence in Castlerea Prison along with another brother for fisheries offences.He said his time there had been torrid and that he hated every second of it.Mr Dorrian also revealed it had been a very difficult time for him personally as his brother had died tragically and his mother had also passed away suddenly.Judge Paul Kelly said if Colhoun had not been fishing illegally then he woul dnot have come before the courts.Judge Kelly said fisheries officers had a right to do their job without being assaulted and abused.However he said he accepted Mr Dorrian’s claims that Colhoun had a torrid time in prison and did not want to go back.He sentenced him to a total of one year on jail but suspended the sentence for two years and also fined him €500.LIFFORD POACHER SPARED ANOTHER ‘TORRID’ TIME IN JAIL was last modified: December 5th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:fisheries officersLiffordMarl Colhounpoachinglast_img read more