FLORENCE HALL, CMC – Shimron Hetmyer led a triumvirate of left-handed batsmen that collected half-centuries, as the WICB President’s XI made Pakistan toil in the field all day in their first-class tour match yesterday. Hetmyer led the way with a typically enterprising 97 (11×4, 2×6), fellow Guyana Jaguars batsman Vishaul Singh was unbeaten on 81 and resurgent Kieran Powell made 58, as the President’s XI reached 311 for five in their first innings at the close, after deciding to bat on a windy, but clear first day of the three-day contest at the Trelawny Multiplex. Hetmyer dominated the first half of the day and shared 148 for the second wicket with Powell to give a solid platform for the rest of the home team’s batting to flourish which Singh did to anchor two half-century stands with Jahmar Hamilton and left-handed Jaguars teammate Raymon Reifer to advance claims for higher duty. The day started bitterly for the President’s XI, when Kyle Hope, one of the contenders to open the batting with Kraigg Brathwaite in the forthcoming three-Test series against the Pakistanis, was caught at forward short leg for two from a sharply rising, second ball of the match from left-arm fast bowler Muhammad Amir.
Al Horford had 18 points, Jaylen Brown scored 12, reserve Marcus Smart also had 12 points and smooth-shooting rookie Jayson Tatum scored 11 for the Celtics. Tatum made a 3-pointer late to help hold off a potential comeback by the Pistons, putting Boston ahead by eight points with 1:55 left.Boston shut down the Pistons’ offense after giving up a season-high 118 points on 52 percent shooting in the loss to them. On Sunday, the Celtics held Detroit to a season low in points and forced it to miss two-thirds of its shots.Baynes kept a hand, arm or shoulder on Drummond while defending him, keeping him out of the lane as much as possible.“They never took a body off him, and we could never take advantage of it,” Detroit coach Stan Van Gundy said. “He got shots for other guys, but we didn’t make any of them.”The Pistons have lost six straight for the first time since late in the 2014-15 season.ADVERTISEMENT When Detroit beat the Celtics last month, Drummond scored 26 points and Jackson had 20. In the rematch, Drummond didn’t make a shot until late in the game and finished with just six points on 1-of-5 shooting while Jackson was 0 for 9 with two points.“We were locked in,” said Boston center Aron Baynes said. “Our offense wasn’t as crisp as we wanted it to be, but defensively we had a game plan and we stuck with it. We were trying to pack the paint and make them make plays from the outside. Last time, they really had whatever they wanted inside the paint.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBrian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defenseThe Eastern Conference-leading Celtics bounced back from a loss Friday night at San Antonio, extending their feat of losing consecutive games only once this season.“We responded not only to that loss at home (to Detroit), but also to the tough Spurs loss,” said Boston’s Kyrie Irving, who scored 16 points. “We want to continue to build character and identity for our team and be responsive with a quick turnaround.” Boston Celtics forward Al Horford, center, goes to the basket against Detroit Pistons forwards Stanley Johnson (7) and Tobias Harris, right, during the first half of an NBA basketball game Sunday, Dec. 10, 2017, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson)DETROIT — The Boston Celtics prevented Andre Drummond from scoring in the paint and quieted Reggie Jackson on the perimeter.That helped Boston get revenge from a rare loss in a 91-81 win over the Detroit Pistons on Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours “We’ve lost some confidence and we need to get it back,” Van Gundy said. “We knew we were going to play a month unlike anyone else in the NBA, and we started it well, but now it has gotten bad.”TIP-INSCeltics: Marcus Morris, who was acquired in last summer’s trade with Detroit for Bradley, didn’t play and is expected to sit out the next game before having his left knee evaluated in Boston. … Horford left the game briefly in the first half, favoring his right leg as he limped off the court.“I just banged knees,” Horford said.Pistons: Tobias Harris scored 19, reserve Anthony Tolliver had 15 points and Avery Bradley scored 12 against his former team. Ish Smith added 11 points off the bench, taking advantage of an opportunity to play in place of the cold-shooting Jackson.“We had a lot of open shots, but I think someone put a lid on the basket,” Jackson said. “I couldn’t get anything to go down.”HE SAID IT“My job is to be a truth teller for these guys,” Van Gundy said. “When they were 10-3, they weren’t as good as everyone was saying. And now that they have lost six straight, they aren’t as bad as everyone is saying.”UP NEXTCeltics: Wrap up a three-game road trip Monday night at Chicago. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Holiday saves Pelicans in win over 76ers Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? MOST READ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Pistons: End a three-game homestand Tuesday night against Denver.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES View comments
– Advertisement – 31 taxpayers to received Highest Contributors and Most Compliant Taxpayers AwardsThe Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA) will observe Saturday, July 1, as Taxpayers Appreciation Day at the Monrovia City Hall, according to a press release yesterday.July 1, henceforth, known as LRA Day, commemorates the date on which the LRA officially began operations in 2014.The Taxpayer Appreciation is held in collaboration with USAID RG3 Project and the Ministry of Finance and Development Planning (MFDP).The theme of the day is “Creating a culture of voluntary tax compliance,” and recognizes taxpayers for their level of tax compliance and contribution to national development by paying their taxes regularly and on time.The program further seeks to recognize and appreciate taxpayers based on two underlining considerations: tax contribution and tax compliance.Thirty one (31) taxpayers are expected to receive awards under the LRA’s two core business areas of Domestic Tax and Customs, covering the period FY 2015-2016.Under Domestic Tax Category, honorees will be awarded the Highest Contributors Award and Most Compliant Taxpayers awards. Those in the Customs Category will receive Highest Value Importers awards, Most Compliant Importers awards and Most Compliant Customs Broker awards.The LRA Commissioner General, Elfrieda Stewart Tamba, said the collection of lawful revenue provides the Government of Liberia the advantage to undertake and implement developmental projects.“We are publicly recognizing taxpayers for their contribution to domestic resource mobilization and to encourage others to become compliant in fulfilling their tax obligations, while the LRA strives to become more compliant to providing good services to the nation and its people,” she said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The West Demerara Proactive Women Producers Cooperative Society, in Stanleytown, Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara), dedicated its $4.6 million salt fish processing facility on Tuesday.The West Demerara Proactive Women Producers Cooperative Society fish salt fish processing facility, located at Stanleytown, Region ThreeThe project, which was funded under the Sustainable Livelihood and Entrepreneurship Development (SLED) programme, saw the completion of the building, procurement of a dryer and other equipment. The women also benefited from training and other support from the Cooperatives Department and the Region Three’s regional administration.At the dedication ceremony, Chairperson of the West Demerara Proactive Women Producers Cooperatives Society, Loraine Hooper, explained that the group began with four members. However, other women soon indicated their interest to join. Once fully operational, she anticipates that at least 40 women within the Stanleytown community will be actively involved in the project.Regional Executive Officer (REO), Denis Jaikran commended the women for bringing the project to realisation and encouraged them to make full use of the facility. “What is important is how we use this building hereafter; to make that decision of what training is going to take place here… so that we can train other persons. So, I want to commend all the persons of the group,” Jaikran stated.The West Demerara Proactive Women Producers Cooperative Society was formed in 2017, following a training exercise through the Office of the First Lady. They were tasked with creating a project that will see them utilising their skills gained while creating employment for the women in the community.The facility will be officially launched within a month.
What is his little brother like?He is a funny kid, said the man.He said no suspect was arrested Tuesday, and police are still investigating leads.Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact the Montebello Police Department at (323) firstname.lastname@example.org(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEBELLO – A 12-year-old boy was in good condition Tuesday morning after being shot in the abdomen, police said.The boy was the unintended victim of a drive-by shooting, said police.Shots were fired from inside a vehicle at the victims front yard in the 500 block of Walnut Avenue at about 10:20 p.m. Monday, said police.The victim was taking out the trash when he was shot. The shooters were aiming for the victims older brother, according to a statement issued by Montebello police. Both were standing outside their residence when the shooting occurred.At this point, the shooting appears to be gang-related, the statement reads.The victim was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition after surgery Monday, police said. His condition was upgraded to good on Tuesday.A man who said he is the victims brother was at the home Tuesday morning. He did not want to talk about the circumstances of the shooting, but said his brother was doing well.This morning he said good morning to all the people there (at the hospital), to my family, the man said.
The managers of Los Angeles International Airport disregarded both fairness and the law when they sharply increased the fees they charge airlines, a judge ruled Tuesday in a decision that could lower some ticket prices. The ruling will serve as a preliminary recommendation for the federal Department of Transportation, which has the final word in the ongoing dispute between LAX and dozens of airlines. But the judge who wrote it minced no words, heaping blame on airport directors for a behind-the-scenes feud that has started to cost travelers. Administrative Law Judge Richard Goodwin called out glaring errors in the airport’s financial records and apparent misstatements by some of its top officials. He questioned whether the higher fees were meant to drive flights away from LAX and toward smaller, suburban airports – a goal, he added, that may violate federal policy. The higher fees at the center of this dispute prompted several airlines in recent weeks to raise the price of a ticket out of LAX by up to $10. Airlines reached Tuesday said they would wait for the final ruling, due next month, before deciding whether to roll back those fare increases. “That’s certainly something that we’ll have to consider,” said Caroline Boren, a spokeswoman for Alaska Airlines. LAX officials also chose to wait for the final ruling before commenting in any detail. “We are disappointed by the recommended decision,” the city agency that runs LAX said in a prepared statement. “Naturally, we had hoped for a different outcome.” The airlines that operate out of LAX pay a base rent, as well as extra fees for keeping up the common areas and to cover other shared costs. Airport commissioners changed the leasing policy late last year – doubling and, in some cases, tripling some of those rents and fees. Airport managers have argued all along that the higher charges better reflect the spiraling costs of running and improving the airport. Dozens of airlines challenged the fee hikes as unfair, unjustified and unevenly applied. email@example.com (310) 543-6649 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
France have several on-form strikers jostling to play alongside Antoine Griezmann including Anthony Martial of Manchester United or Giroud’s Arsenal teammate Alexandre Lacazette.Giroud has been granted permission to return to his club and is yet to be replaced in Didier Deschamps’s squad.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud will miss Tuesday’s friendly against world champions Germany in Cologne due to injury, the French football federation said © AFP/File / Paul ELLISPARIS, France, Nov 12 – Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud will miss Tuesday’s friendly against world champions Germany in Cologne due to injury, the French football federation said on Sunday.The 31-year-old suffered a right thigh strain during Friday’s 2-0 victory over Wales at the Stade de France, where he scored his 29th international goal.
Manchester United target Gabriel Paletta is not for sale, according to his club Parma.The former Liverpool centre-back has been linked with a move to Old Trafford after impressing for Parma since joining them in 2010.But Parma say there is no need to sell Paletta or any of their other stars this summer.“We do not need to sell, I will keep on repeating that,” said sporting director Pietro Leonardi. 1 Gabriel Paletta
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has named his 25-man Premier League squad for the 2014/15 season.Premier League clubs had a deadline of 5pm on 3 September to submit a squad list containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the “Home Grown Player”. The remainder of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be home grown.According to the Premier League, a Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).Changes to the squad list may be made during the next transfer window. Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.Tottenham HotspurPlayer (‘Home Grown’ status in brackets)1 Adebayor, Emmanuel (No)2 Bezerra Maciel Junior, Jose Paulo (No)3 Capoue, Etienne (No)4Ceballos, Cristian (No)5 Chadli, Nacer (No)6 Chiriches, Vlad Iulian (No)7 Dembele, Moussa (No)8 Eriksen, Christian (No)9 Fazio, Federico (No)10 Friedel, Bradley Howard (No)11 Kaboul, Younes (No)12 Lamela, Erik (No)13 Lennon, Aaron (Yes)14 Lloris, Hugo (No)15 Mason, Ryan Glen (Yes)16 Naughton, Kyle (Yes)17 Rose, Daniel Lee (Yes)18 Soldado Rillo, Roberto (No)19 Stambouli, Benjamin (No)20 Townsend, Andros (Yes)21 Vertonghen, Jan (No)22 Vorm, Michel (No)23 Walker, Kyle Andrew (Yes)Tottenham – Under-21 players (contract and scholars)1 Akindayini, Daniel Oluwaseun2 Amos, Luke Ayodele3 Archer, Jordan Gideon4 Ball, Dominic5 Bentaleb, Nabil6 Carter-Vickers, Cameron7 Coulibaly, Souleymane8 Coulthirst, Shaquile Tyshan9 Daly, Armani10 Davies, Benjamin Thomas11 Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar12 Georgiou, Anthony Michael13 Glover, Thomas William14 Goddard, Cy15 Gomelt, Tomislav16 Harrison, Shayon17 Hayford, Charlie Garath18 Kane, Harry19 Lameiras, Ruben20 Lesniak, Filip21 Loft, Ryan22 Maghoma, Christian23 Mcdermott, Thomas William24 McEneff, Aaron25 McEvoy, Kenneth26 McGee, Luke Paul27 McQueen, Alexander Luke28 Miller, William29 Muscatt, Joseph Luis30 Oduwa, Nathan31 Ogilvie, Connor Stuart32 Onomah, Joshua33 Owens, Charlie34 Paul, Christopher David35 Pritchard, Alex David36 Pritchard, Joe Cameron37 Ross, Lloyd38 Sonupe, Emmanuel Olukolade39 Stylianides, Zenon40 Veljkovic, Milos41 Voss, Harry William42 Walker-Peters, Kyle43 Walkes, Anton44 Ward, Grant Antony45 Winks, HarryUnder-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 1993.To see Arsenal’s 25-man squads, click here.For Man United’s 25-man squad click here.For Chelsea’s 25-man squad click here.For Liverpool’s 25-man squad click here. 1 Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has named his 25-man Premier League squad
Host Matt Scott is joined in the studio by Charlie Wyett and Matt Hughes to discuss all the week’s sporting action.This week, discussions included the ongoing FIFA crisis and newly-promoted Norwich City’s chances of Premier League survival.