Money spent on Lindo Creek CoI not wasted – Harmon

first_img…several recommendations not acted uponGovernment is denying that monies spent on the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry were a waste of time; even as certain recommendations including those of a financial nature have not been acted upon.Minister of State Joseph HarmonThis acknowledgement was made by Minister of State Joseph Harmon, during a post-Cabinet press conference. According to Harmon, only some of the recommendations that had to do with restructuring the joint services have been implemented.Harmon explained that changes have been made to ensure that more control is kept over the joint services. But there was no word on when compensation for the families of the eight victims, a major recommendation arising out of the CoI, would be paid.“The Commission of Inquiry made several recommendations. Some of those recommendations are administrative in nature. And they have been acted upon at the level of the Guyana Police Force and Guyana Defence Force. Some of them have pecuniary implications and those matters are still to be acted upon.”“But I can say to you when Commissions of Inquiries sit, they make a huge amount of recommendations. For example, the Guyana Public Service Commission of Inquiry made 87 recommendations. And so you have to look at every one of these recommendations and see which ones can be implemented now and which ones can be implemented in the medium and long term.”While Harmon acknowledged the cost of the CoI as exceeding $100 million, he insisted that the money was not wasted as lives were lost and closure was needed.“I don’t consider the expense that we spent on that Commission as a waste. It’s a lot of money indeed. But the value of the lives of every Guyanese, we cannot put a price tag on it. Several Guyanese lives were lost,” Harmon said.Sometime between June 12, 2008, and June 24, 2008, miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres were shot and killed and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp, which was being operated by Leonard Arokium.The Lindo Creek CoI was the first of what the coalition Government has said would be a series of inquiries into killings which occurred during a crime wave that began in 2002.The CoI was established to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of the eight miners and to report its findings as well as recommendations to President David Granger. The CoI was completed and handed over since August of last year.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has been critical of the CoI, noting previously that the conduct of the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry (CoI) is reminiscent of a Commission hell-bent on achieving a particular outcome – one which points the finger to the armed forces.In particular, Jagdeo had expressed concern over what he said was the slant the CoI was taking and had pointed to the manner in which witnesses were being cross-examined, as though the testimony must fit a particular narrative.last_img read more

Done deal! Manchester United’s Zaha seals move back to Crystal Palace

first_img2 Neil Warnock has made his first signing as Crystal Palace manager and brought back fan favourite Wilfried Zaha from Manchester United on a season-long loan.The 21-year-old winger was Sir Alex Ferguson’s last signing as United manager back in January 2013 for £15million, but only linked up with the Red Devils later that summer.In his debut season Zaha struggled to make any impact under David Moyes and was eventually loaned out to Cardiff where he also struggled.New Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has also shown no interest in using the youngster as a first-team player this season and he has now rejoined Crystal Palace, where he came through the academy.Warnock, who succeeded Tony Pulis as Palace manager on Wednesday, exclusively told talkSPORT on Thursday morning he was ‘optimistic’ of re-signing Zaha and has now concluded the deal.The winger, who has two England caps to his name, was the first to confirm the deal by tweeting an old picture of himself (see below) celebrating in a Palace shirt, simply saying ‘Back.’Both clubs later confirmed the deal had been agreed and Zaha told Crystal Palace’s website: “I’m just buzzing to be back, to be in and around the lads again.“There have been rumours for a while, but it was only yesterday that it got sorted out and I was happy it got sorted out ASAP because I just need to get out and play. The best place to come back to is Palace where I am loved.“Speaking to my family and my agent, they knew I would be comfortable coming back here because I’ve got the support of the fans and the club. When I come back here I know I can just get straight back into it.”And discussing new manager, Warnock, the winger added: “I’m glad to have him back because obviously he’s a great manager and I’m sure he’ll know what to do with the team.“I spoke to him as well and he told me that he would guarantee me a chance – all I’ve got to do is work hard, so I am fine with that.”“It’s a great club, but since I’ve gone up there it hasn’t gone my way really.”While the 21-year-old struggled to get many minutes under his belt at Manchester United, Zaha believes his time at Old Trafford has proved benefitial.“I haven’t really had the chance to showcase my talent or play much – that’s why I thought it would be best for me to get a loan, gain some experience and maybe go back a better player,” he added.“It was an enormous experience and obviously the players that I have trained with and spoken to have helped me a lot like Giggsy, Robin [Van Persie] and Rooney. Speaking to people like that is always going to help me in my career.“Robin gives me tips on how to finish and who else is better than Robin when it comes to finishing! Just seeing them and being with them in training I think has developed me even more.” Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha center_img 2last_img read more