Jun 21, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – More human and poultry cases of H5N1 influenza are coming to light in Southeast Asia, with reports of two new human illnesses in Vietnam and a second poultry outbreak in China.Two people from northern Vietnam were admitted to Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi over the weekend and later tested positive for the H5N1 virus, according to hospital director Tran Quy, who was quoted in the China Daily newspaper and other media reports.The spate of confirmed cases in northern Vietnam in June brings CIDRAP’s unofficial tally of Vietnamese cases since December 2004 to 63, of which 18 were fatal. The Thanh Nien Daily newspaper in Vietnam reported yesterday that 23 suspected cases of avian flu had been reported nationwide in the past week.China reported that a second H5N1 outbreak has occurred among domestic birds in the northwestern province of Xinjiang, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report. The outbreak killed 63 geese and ducks and infected at least 128, AFP said, citing new data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Authorities culled 1,490 birds on that farm and in nearby Changji city.The earlier outbreak in that province occurred the first week of June and led to the deaths from illness or culling of more than 13,000 geese. In early May, China announced its first avian flu outbreak in 2005, which killed more than 1,000 migratory birds of five different species in Qinghai province, to the east of Xinjiang.More information about the migratory bird outbreak may be forthcoming, as teams of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) and FAO arrived in Qinghai province yesterday to inspect the outbreak area, according to Bloomberg news service. The teams obtained permission for the trip last week, but China rejected their request to travel to Xinjiang province.
According to the eVisitor system, which includes tourist traffic generated in commercial and non-commercial facilities and nautical charter (eCrew system), 4.4 million arrivals (+6 percent) and 31.8 million overnight stays (+6 percent) were realized in Croatia in August, while from January to August, 14.8 million arrivals (+14 percent) and 85 million overnight stays (+13 percent) were realized.These are the results presented today at the Ministry of Tourism by the Minister of Tourism Gari Cappelli and the Director of the CNTB Head Office Kristjan Staničić. “The tourist traffic records that have been following us since the beginning of the year confirm and justify the quality management of the tourist system, well-done promotional activities, strong investment in the quality of the offer and service, and the diversity of content in destinations. The announcements for the post-season are excellent and this strong double-digit growth in tourist traffic brings us, for the first time in Croatian history, to the figure of 100 million overnight stays. Also, at the level of the whole year, we expect higher tourist growth than the European average. This is the direction in which we want to go further, because only with dedicated and quality work of all stakeholders in tourism can Croatia become an even more competitive tourist destination.”, said Minister Cappelli.Director Staničić also agreed with the minister, adding that positive trends are expected in the coming months, especially in September. “The main part of this tourist year really met our expectations because Croatian tourism grew at high rates and during the main summer months when our capacities are traditionally the most filled. These days, more than 500 thousand tourists stay in Croatia, so we expect very good results during the month of September, which is becoming more and more important for our overall results. The goal is to bring this year to a successful end and to be ready to enter 2018, for which we have already started with certain preparations.”, concluded director Staničić.Record AugustOf the total number of arrivals and overnight stays in August, foreign tourists realized 4.1 million arrivals (+6 percent) and 28.2 million overnight stays (+6 percent), and domestic tourists also increased with a growth of 1.4 percent in arrivals and 8 percent in overnight stays. Thus, in August, the highest number of overnight stays was realized in Istria (8.6 million overnight stays), Kvarner (6.1 million overnight stays) and in the Split-Dalmatia County (6 million overnight stays). They are followed by Zadar County with 4.7 million overnight stays, Šibenik-Knin County with 2.4 million overnight stays, Dubrovnik-Neretva County with 2.2 million overnight stays, Lika-Senj County with 1.5 million overnight stays and Zagreb with 250 thousand overnight stays. In August, not counting the city of Zagreb, a total of 316 thousand overnight stays were realized on the continent (an increase of 12 percent), and most overnight stays were realized in Karlovac (150 thousand overnight stays), Krapina-Zagorje (43 thousand overnight stays) and Međimurje County. overnight stays). Looking at the destinations, most overnight stays in August were realized in Rovinj, Medulin, Poreč, Dubrovnik, Umag and Crikvenica.During August, most overnight stays were realized by tourists from Germany (6.8 million overnight stays), Slovenia (3 million overnight stays), Italy (2.8 million overnight stays), Poland (2.2 million overnight stays) and Austria (2 million overnight stays). Out of the total number of overnight stays, most of them were realized in household facilities (13 million overnight stays), camps (6.2 million overnight stays) and hotels (5 million overnight stays), while more than 720 thousand overnight stays (+13 percent) were realized in nautical charter.At the annual level, 85 million realized overnight staysLooking at the period from January to August, foreign tourists made 13.3 million arrivals (+14 percent) and 75.3 million overnight stays (+13 percent), while domestic tourists also recorded increases of 9 percent in arrivals and 13 percent in overnight stays. In the period from January to August, most overnight stays were realized in Istria (23.4 million overnight stays), Kvarner (15.8 million overnight stays) and Split-Dalmatia County (15.7 million overnight stays). They are followed by Zadar County with 11.6 million overnight stays, Dubrovnik-Neretva County with 6.7 million overnight stays, Šibenik-Knin County with 6 million overnight stays, Lika-Senj County with 2.8 million overnight stays and Zagreb with 1.5 million overnight stays. 1.4 million overnight stays were realized on the continent (+18 percent), and the highest number of overnight stays was realized in Karlovac County (470 thousand overnight stays), Krapina-Zagorje County (221 thousand overnight stays) and Osijek-Baranja County (118 thousand overnight stays).During the first eight months, most overnight stays were realized by tourists from Germany (16.6 million overnight stays), Slovenia (8.9 million overnight stays), Austria (6.2 million overnight stays), Poland (5.6 million overnight stays) and Italy (4.7 million overnight stays). overnight stays are Rovinj, Dubrovnik, Poreč, Medulin, Umag, Split, Mali Lošinj, Crikvenica, Pula and Novalja. Out of the total number of overnight stays, most of them were realized in household facilities (10 million overnight stays), hotels (31 million overnight stays) and camps (19 million overnight stays), while 16.3 million overnight stays (+2.4 percent) were realized in nautical charter.Attachment: RESULTS OF TOURIST TRAFFIC IN THE FIRST EIGHT MONTHS
As law enforcers, Sangrines said they want to ensure a peaceful holding of the Dinagyang, one of the country’s biggest festivals that has been drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors to this southern city every fourth Sunday of January. The ICPO deployed 3,300 police personnel included in the augmentationforces from the Police Regional Office 6 and the Armed Forces of thePhilippines. “The public is aware of these tight security measures we are implementing,”said Sangrines. She also cited ICPO’s latest record where no gun ban violators were apprehendedyet since it took effect on Jan. 22. The gun ban will last until Jan. 28. This was the appeal of Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) spokesperson,Police Captain Shella Mae Sangrines. ILOILO City – Follow rules and regulations so that everyone will enjoythe 2020 Dinagyang Festival. According to Sangrines, authorities have not yet recorded a major crime incident as of 4 p.m. yesterday. “Since Friday until Saturday in the afternoon, we are happy to announce that we have zero crime incident and we are hoping peace and order would be maintained until our festival culminates,” she said. Sangrines added that no trouble makers or unruly spectators so far havebeen detained in the mobile patrol of the Bureau of Jail Management andPenology that are being used as temporary detention cell for those who willcreate disturbance. Sangrines said signal jamming will start today in some parts of thecity, which include the performance areas to make sure that spectators andcontestants are well guarded and lawless elements could not launch theiratrocities. The signal shutdown will start at 6 a.m. until 2 p.m./PN
What is his little brother like?He is a funny kid, said the man.He said no suspect was arrested Tuesday, and police are still investigating leads.Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact the Montebello Police Department at (323) email@example.com(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEBELLO – A 12-year-old boy was in good condition Tuesday morning after being shot in the abdomen, police said.The boy was the unintended victim of a drive-by shooting, said police.Shots were fired from inside a vehicle at the victims front yard in the 500 block of Walnut Avenue at about 10:20 p.m. Monday, said police.The victim was taking out the trash when he was shot. The shooters were aiming for the victims older brother, according to a statement issued by Montebello police. Both were standing outside their residence when the shooting occurred.At this point, the shooting appears to be gang-related, the statement reads.The victim was taken to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition after surgery Monday, police said. His condition was upgraded to good on Tuesday.A man who said he is the victims brother was at the home Tuesday morning. He did not want to talk about the circumstances of the shooting, but said his brother was doing well.This morning he said good morning to all the people there (at the hospital), to my family, the man said.