50-year-old suspect hospitalised

first_imgSophia stabbing– Family of dead woman calls for justiceThe 50-year-old suspect who fatally stabbed Nadina Kalamadeen on Wednesday evening at North Sophia, Greater Georgetown has been admitted a patient at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) following the thrashing he received upon his apprehension.Murdered: Nadina KalamadeenOf no fixed place of abode, the suspect was reportedly given a sound beating by residents on Wednesday evening after he had killed the mother of five. The Police have said he is under guard at the medical facility.The 35-year-old woman was stabbed several times to the back by the man after she had refused to take on his advances while walking along First Street, North Sophia.When Guyana Times visited the dead woman’s home on Thursday, her family called for justice and a thorough investigation into circumstances leading up and surrounding the murder.It was reported that Kalamadeen was walking along the roadway in close proximity to her home when the suspect appeared and made several amorous advances towards her.After the woman refused to accept his advances, he reportedly whipped out a knife and dealt her several stabs to the back.The suspect attempted to run away, but an alarm was raised and he was apprehended by persons in the neighbourhood, who later handed him over to the Police.The injured woman was picked up and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.Mother of the deceased, Elimine De Freitas, told Guyana Times that the suspect was obsessed with her daughter, and now her only concern is seeking justice, to ensure that he is penalised for his actions.“All I know is that my child died. I hope that we get justice and the Police do what they have to do,” the distraught woman stated.She recalled that she was at home when she heard screaming at about 19:00h.“I just hear this hollering, so I thought was the neighbour making noise. We look out and I see everybody running and a lady on the road telling me that my daughter fall down and bleeding. As a mother, I just come out…and we carry her to the hospital.”DeFreitas refuted statements that her daughter had been in a relationship with the suspect, stating that Kalamadeen had been married to someone who works in the interior.“Is a man who live somewhere at the back, and he deh round the area for a while. Like he was desperate and obsessed with her,” the mother explained.Kalamadeen leaves to mourn her five children, mother and other relatives. The suspect is expected to be charged soon.last_img read more

Demand grows for public composting facilities

first_imgA growing number of people are requesting grass and hedge cutting compost centres, according to Letterkenny councillor Gerry McMonagle.The council is being called on to provide composting facilities in local recycling centres or a stand-alone service to take in garden waste.Cllr McMonagle said there is a demand for a service which would take in cuttings and turn it into mulch to sell back to gardeners. Speaking at this week’s Letterkenny-Milford MD meeting, he questioned why there are no facilities to recycle garden waste for the benefit of helping gardens grow.Currently, Donegal’s six public recycling centres accept garden waste at a cost of €2 per bag. The council also provides a subsidised rate of €13 on home composting units.Cllr Donal Coyle, who seconded the motion, said that dumping is a problem in this area; “When grass is dumped in a particular spot the next thing is you see other rubbish being added to it.“If there was composting at recycling centres it would cut out a lot of that.”  Demand grows for public composting facilities was last modified: November 14th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Raider Richie Incognito on drugs, booze, fights and ‘crazy stuff’

first_imgIn a revelatory — and disturbing — new TV interview, controversial Raiders offensive lineman Richie Incognito insists that he’s not a “ticking time bomb.”“I hope not. I think history will suggest that I am,” Incognito tells reporter Bernie Goldberg during a segment for “Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel” that airs on Tuesday (10 p.m., HBO). “But I really am working hard to kind of differentiate from that person and really not make the same mistakes that I have made before to put me in those …last_img read more

Thousands march for peace in Durban

first_img17 April 2015The thousands of South Africans who took part in a peace march in Durban on Thursday have spoken in one voice, calling for peace and for an end to attacks on foreign nationals.The peace march was organised by the KwaZulu-Natal government in response to the violent attacks against foreign nationals in various parts of the province, especially the greater Durban area.Five people, including a 14-year-old boy, have been killed in the attacks that have flared up in several parts of KwaZulu-Natal, including KwaMashu and Umlazi, over the past two weeks. The violence has spread to parts of Gauteng, including Johannesburg.The march, which started at Curries Fountain and proceeded to City Hall, was led by Premier Senzo Mchunu, who was joined by the political leadership, faith-based organisations, NGOs, thousands of South Africans as well as foreign nationals.#Durban We stand Together for a United Africa #No2Xenophobia pic.twitter.com/xgRysYkASJ— I Love Durban (@ILuvDBN) April 16, 2015Among those who joined the march were ANC Treasurer Dr Zweli Mkhize; eThekwini Mayor James Nxumalo; State Security Minister David Mahlobo; Transport, Community Safety and Liaison MEC Willies Mchunu; and Speaker of the provincial legislature Lydia Johnson. First Lady Thobeka Mabhida-Zuma also joined the marchers.‘Barbaric and inhumane’Speaking on behalf of national government, Mahlobo condemned the attacks, describing them as barbaric and inhumane. The minister warned people not to take the law into their own hands, emphasising that when a crime is committed, the law should be allowed to take its course.Johnson made a commitment on behalf of members of the provincial legislature to meet with communities and “speak in one voice” against attacks on foreign nationals. “Let’s all work together and accept them, and when you go home, pass on the message of love,” he said.Nomvuzo Shabalala, the deputy mayor of eThekwini municipality, warned that the attacks on foreign nationals affected the country’s economy, which then leads to a decrease in job opportunities.Police have arrested 74 people for offences including murder, public violence, business robbery, theft and possession of firearms and ammunition.‘Shocking and unacceptable’Meanwhile, in his address to the National Assembly in Parliament on Thursday, President Jacob Zuma condemned the recent “shocking and unacceptable” incidents of violence directed at foreign nationals and appealed for calm.The President said the attacks could not be justified under any circumstances: “We appeal for calm, an end to the violence and restraint.”He said government will take stern action against those responsible for the violence and looting and ensure that they are brought to book.“No amount of frustration or anger can justify the attacks on foreign nationals and the looting of their shops. We condemn the attacks in the strongest terms. The attacks violate all the values that South Africa embodies, especially the respect for human life, human rights, human dignity and Ubuntu. Our country stands firmly against all intolerances such as racism, xenophobia, homophobia and sexism,” he said.InterventionWhen the incidents broke out in KwaZulu-Natal last week, Zuma deployed Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko, Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba and State Security Minister David Mahlobo to work with provincial authorities to quell the violence and bring the situation under control.“They have done well, but the problem requires a much more comprehensive and substantive long-term intervention. I have therefore assigned the entire Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster to work on this issue intensively, joined by the Ministers of Social Development, Trade and Industry and Small Business Development.”Zuma said the security cluster and economic departments had already begun working on the matter following the incidents in Soweto, Gauteng, in January.“I have now directed them to work faster and to engage affected communities, organisations representing foreign nationals, business, non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders to attend to the concerns raised on both sides.”He said the objective was to avoid future incidents by improving relations and promoting peaceful co-existence between citizens and “brothers and sisters within the continent, as well as other foreign nationals”.The government was also seeking co-operation from the affected foreign missions based in South Africa.Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Part of hostel collapses in Berhampur University

first_imgA portion of the three-storey Saberi women’s hostel on Berhampur University campus collapsed on Thursday afternoon. All 104 boarders had a lucky escape as they were attending classes when the mishap occurred around 12.30 p.m. The part of the building that collapsed mainly comprised of toilets and balconies.University registrar Ranjan Biswal said the building was declared unsafe after the incident. The boarders are being shifted to Chilika hostel. Students said that many could have been “injured in the mishap had it happened a few hours earlier”.Dilapidated conditionThe Saberi hostel was inaugurated in 1989. Its boarders had been complaining about its dilapidated condition for the past many months. Concrete pieces were falling from the roofs of several rooms and water was seeping from the toilets on each of the three floors. On July 15, the boarders had demanded that the university repair the hostel as early as possible.last_img read more

The Worst: Ohio State’s Wireless Is Preventing Buckeye QB Stephen Collier From Watching “House Of Cards”

first_imgStephen Collier can't watch House of Cards because of Ohio State's wireless signal.Today is a great day. It’s Friday, but, more importantly, Season 3 of House of Cards has been released. Millions of people across the country will be visiting Netflix to watch Frank Underwood wreak havoc in Washington, D.C. Ohio State redshirt freshman quarterback Stephen Collier wants to be one of those people watching the show. But he can’t – the spotty wireless on OSU’s Columbus campus isn’t letting him access the online media platform. We feel for you, Stephen. Finally get a break to go watch House of Cards in between class in then Osuwireless does Osuwireless things pic.twitter.com/u479rsHAsJ— Stephen Collier (@S13Collier) February 27, 2015Ohio State wireless: step your game up. There’s TV shows to be binging.last_img read more

Video: Deion Sanders Addressed The Florida State Team Today

first_imgDeion Sanders walks into the Florida State team facility.NFL Hall of Famer and Florida State legend Deion Sanders was back at his alma mater today. While Sanders was there, he gave a speech to the current crop of Seminoles. The central message of Sanders’ talk was the expectations players should have for themselves. There’s also some footage of Sanders’ NFL Network interview with FSU defensive back Jalen Ramsey, a projected top-10 pick in next month’s draft. “What do you expect from yourself?”@DeionSanders spoke to the team before practice.https://t.co/tyPuqF4vsT— FSU Football (@FSU_Football) March 30, 2016The ‘Noles would be wise to listen to Sanders and heed his advice.last_img read more

Taxi drivers petition city for level playing field with ride sharing companies

first_imgAround 300 Calgary cab drivers have signed a letter to the city, asking for ride sharing companies to be subject to the same rules and regulations as taxis.The petition says more and more cab drivers are being forced to give up on mortgage payments and file for bankruptcy as they struggle to make ends meet.Taxi driver Syed Hussain said one example is vehicle inspections: taxis must go in every six months, but for Uber drivers, it’s once every year.“When we renew our taxi badge, we pay $175, the Uber guys they pay $15,” he said.Hussain said added costs mean taxi drivers often work 12 hours a day, seven days a week.“We have over 2,000 drivers and they are suffering unbelievably,” he said.“There are double standards. Two laws: one for the tax industry and one for the sharing companies like Uber or Lyft or whatever, and that is not fair.”Meanwhile Clement Gulston, who drives for both ride-sharing companies Uber and Cowboy Taxi, argues he pays just as much as a taxi driver, maybe even more, as 25 per cent of fares go to the company to cover costs.“Their (taxi) system is outdated. Checker has apps, do you know that? Associated has (an) app, do you know that? Calgary City Cab has app? Have you ever tried to use their app, have you ever talked to anybody who tried to use their app? If you use any one of these apps, you’re not connected instantly with the driver,” he said.Gulston says he works for two companies driving four cars, not because he needs the money, but because he’s taking advantage of good opportunities. Should rideshare drivers (Uber, Lyft) face the same regulations as cab drivers?YesNoVoteView Results Take Our Polllast_img read more

Husky awaits explosion investigation results before restarting asphalt refinery

first_imgCALGARY – Two months after fire and explosions ripped through its recently purchased asphalt refinery in Superior, Wis., Husky Energy Inc. says it still doesn’t know when it will be able to restart the facility.Spokesman Mel Duvall says investigations are continuing into the cause of the April 26 incident in which 11 people were injured and nearby homes evacuated while plumes of black smoke rose into the sky.He says the Calgary-based company won’t be able to fully assess damage and map out a recovery plan until the U.S. Chemical Safety Board completes its determination of cause.Husky bought the 50,000-barrel-per-day refinery from Calumet Specialty Products Partners of Indiana for about $570 million in a deal that closed in November.According to a website update posted Monday, cleanup efforts have progressed to the point that the off-site incident command centre has been moved onto refinery property. It says about 400 employees and contractors are supporting daily operations.As of last Friday, Husky says it has received some 3,300 claims from local businesses and residents who incurred expenses or suffered losses during the incident, of which about 2,700 have been resolved.“We do have insurance, both on the assets and business interruption, and we have made alternate arrangements to continue supplying customers. No employees have been laid off,” said Duvall in an email.“We may be able to provide an update (on costs) on our second-quarter conference call later this month.”He said all of the injured people have been released from hospital.On the website, Husky says it expects to be able to bring in trucks later this month to remove stored asphalt inventory.Companies in this story: (TSX:HSE)last_img read more

TMC workers hurt in highway accident

first_imgKolkata: At least 30 Trinamool supporters and workers suffered injuries after the bus they were travelling in plunged into a water body near Siliguri-Jalpaiguri State Highway on Sunday. The injured party workers have been admitted to hospital for treatment.The Trinamool workers were planning to take part in an election campaign meeting by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Jalpaiguri. They had hired the bus to reach the venue of the election campaign meeting. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaAccording to local residents, on Sunday, Banerjee was scheduled to address an election campaign meeting at Churabhadar in Moynaguri from 1:30 pm. To attend the meeting, around 45 TMC supporters and workers had hired the bus from Sariam. They had started their journey in the morning to reach Churabhandar. However, after a few kilometres near Talma, the bus had a tyre burst and the driver lost his control over the steering and the vehicle plunged into a water body beside the Siliguri-Jalpaiguri State Highway. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayLocal resident ran to help the accident victims. Meanwhile, Rajgunj police station and local Trinamool leaders were informed about the accident. Police officers reached the spot shortly and rescued the injured persons. Almost all the passengers had suffered injuries but about 30 of them had suffered serious injuries. The injured persons have been rushed to Rajgunj Rural Hospital Belakoba Rural Hospital and Jalpaiguri Super Specialty Hospital. A few of them were discharged after providing necessary treatment and many are still undergoing treatment.last_img read more