Money spent on Lindo Creek CoI not wasted – Harmon

first_img…several recommendations not acted uponGovernment is denying that monies spent on the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry were a waste of time; even as certain recommendations including those of a financial nature have not been acted upon.Minister of State Joseph HarmonThis acknowledgement was made by Minister of State Joseph Harmon, during a post-Cabinet press conference. According to Harmon, only some of the recommendations that had to do with restructuring the joint services have been implemented.Harmon explained that changes have been made to ensure that more control is kept over the joint services. But there was no word on when compensation for the families of the eight victims, a major recommendation arising out of the CoI, would be paid.“The Commission of Inquiry made several recommendations. Some of those recommendations are administrative in nature. And they have been acted upon at the level of the Guyana Police Force and Guyana Defence Force. Some of them have pecuniary implications and those matters are still to be acted upon.”“But I can say to you when Commissions of Inquiries sit, they make a huge amount of recommendations. For example, the Guyana Public Service Commission of Inquiry made 87 recommendations. And so you have to look at every one of these recommendations and see which ones can be implemented now and which ones can be implemented in the medium and long term.”While Harmon acknowledged the cost of the CoI as exceeding $100 million, he insisted that the money was not wasted as lives were lost and closure was needed.“I don’t consider the expense that we spent on that Commission as a waste. It’s a lot of money indeed. But the value of the lives of every Guyanese, we cannot put a price tag on it. Several Guyanese lives were lost,” Harmon said.Sometime between June 12, 2008, and June 24, 2008, miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres were shot and killed and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp, which was being operated by Leonard Arokium.The Lindo Creek CoI was the first of what the coalition Government has said would be a series of inquiries into killings which occurred during a crime wave that began in 2002.The CoI was established to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the killings of the eight miners and to report its findings as well as recommendations to President David Granger. The CoI was completed and handed over since August of last year.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has been critical of the CoI, noting previously that the conduct of the Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry (CoI) is reminiscent of a Commission hell-bent on achieving a particular outcome – one which points the finger to the armed forces.In particular, Jagdeo had expressed concern over what he said was the slant the CoI was taking and had pointed to the manner in which witnesses were being cross-examined, as though the testimony must fit a particular narrative.last_img read more

‘My dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds’ – Man United target speaks out

first_imgBut the Old Trafford legend never forgot Haaland’s words, and he entered the 2001 Manchester derby with the view of getting back at the former Norway international. Keane did just that, being shown a red card for a horrific knee-high challenge on Haaland.Haaland’s son, Erling Braut, has since broken onto the scene playing for Norwegian club Molde, and United sent scouts to watch him in action against Brann on Sunday. targets Manchester United have been scouting Erling Braut Haaland, the son of the man Roy Keane famously clashed with – Alf-Inge Haaland.Back in 1997, in a match between Leeds and United, Keane injured his anterior cruciate ligament while trying to challenge the elder Haaland, who lent over Keane and supposedly shouted at him for feigning injury.However, Keane’s problem was serious, and he missed almost a year of football as he recovered. LIVING THE DREAM Latest transfer news RANKED Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January moving on Keane was handed a five-match ban and fined £150,000 for admitting he intentionally hurt Haaland Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland REVEALED The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing center_img IN DEMAND targets Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 1 Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer TOP WORK The younger Haaland was exceptional, scoring all four of the games goals in 21 minutes as Molde, managed by United great Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, defeated the league leaders.Such a performance has led to suggestions Man United will move to sign Haaland, but if they do that, the Red Devils will be getting hold of a devout Leeds fan.Speaking back in February 2017, Haaland, born shortly after his father left Elland Road for Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2000, admitted his dream is to win the Premier League – but with Leeds, not Man United.“I want to be the best possible,” Haaland told Aftenposten.“The dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.“In addition, the goal is to become a better player than my dad was. I hope to get more caps than he did.” three-way race Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ LATEST last_img read more