Scotiabank boosts Prep cricket with increased sponsorship

first_imgScotiabank, who pride themselves as sponsors of the regional game, starting from the youth level, pumped a 25 per cent increase into this year’s Scotiabank/Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) Prep Schools Cricket competition yesterday.The increase will bring the sponsorship package to $5 million, along with MVP cash prizes of $50,000 for players in the counties of Cornwall, Middlesex and Surrey.”This increase in sponsorship is a testimony to our continued belief in the importance of investing in youth through developmental sports,” said Yanique Forbes-Patrick, vice-president, Scotiabank Marketing.”Always play your best game. Strive to be the best on your team. Be champions in your own right and make a difference in everything you do,” she implored the youngsters during yesterday’s launch at Lucas Cricket Club, after which defending champions Quest Prep and Richmond Prep played the competition’s opening game.BETTER CITIZENSCourtney Francis, CEO, Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), lauded Scotiabank for ensuring that “cricket is part of the medium to make you all (players) better citizens, more responsible, understand and learn at this stage how to be part of a team and how to be able to contribute to society”.Quest were crowned national champions for the first time last year, after defeating Hydel Prep by 10 runs in the final at Lucas.Hydel, the most successful school with two national titles (2012, 2013) and four in Surrey, followed by St Peter and Paul, Monymusk, Mona, Lannaman, Belair Prep and Quest one each.In Cornwall, there are only two winners; Denis Tobin in 2005 and 2006, while St James have been unbeatable since 2007.Quest’s coach, Leonard Malcolm, told The Gleaner his team is missing about eight players from last year, “but we are a competitive school and we are going to compete to try and retain our crown”.The competition will run to June 12 and feature a total of 48 teams, with approximately 121 matches across three counties.The competition began in 2003 and has grown from 24 schools to 48; 24 from Kingston and St Andrew and St Catherine, 12 from Middlesex and 12 from Cornwall.Prep school standouts to come from the competition include Brandon King, who has represented Jamaica at all levels, Brad Barnes (2013), Raewin Senior (2014) and Kirk McKenzie last year.West Indies’ World T20 men and women’s champions, Marlon Samuels and Stafanie Taylor, respectively, also participated and signed bats and balls for the youngsters.last_img read more

ANGER AS WELFARE OFFICES IN WEST DONEGAL TO CLOSE

first_imgThe Department for Social Protection has received scathing criticism following news that the Community Welfare service is to be removed from Annagry and Gaoth Dobhair and moved to offices further away such as the public services centre in Dungloe.Speaking of the move, local community activist Micheál Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig said the move was a blow to local families and that consultation with the community was needed before such decisions were made.“Moving these services out of the rural areas and into the larger towns will only cause more hardship on families who already find themselves in difficult times” Mr Mac Giolla Easbuig said. “There is stress enough for people having to ask for help in the first place and this will only now be exacerbated by having to make their way to a town even further away.“The public transport in these rural areas is not adequate enough for people to make the journey from the rural areas to these new offices and what transport is available will cost the people more money to make the longer return journeys.”Speaking of the decision Mr Mac Giolla Easbuig said that the government had no understanding of rural communities in Ireland. “There has been no consultation with the local people of these rural areas in regard to this decision and there never is in such matters. These decisions are made by people who have little or no understanding of what living in rural Ireland is like and making such decisions would leave people to believe that the government are intent in stripping back the rural communities in this country.“So I would insist that the Department of Social Protection halt this move and and have a proper and public discussion with the communities that the move will affect. It is only right that the people are consulted on matters that will impact on our communities and it is time that the government began seeing the realities and hardships of life that the ordinary people have to face on a day to day basis.” ANGER AS WELFARE OFFICES IN WEST DONEGAL TO CLOSE was last modified: September 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Annagrydole office closuresdonegal daily newsdungloeGaoth Dobhairlast_img read more